How can I qualify for a ment’or Grant?
- Applicant must be a chef/ cook with at least three years and no more than six years of work experience at a full service restaurant kitchen, and at least one year at your current restaurant.
- Applicants must submit a resume, two signed letters of recommendation (one from your current employer, and a second letter from your previous/ current employer), and answers to a few short essay questions.
- Applicants must also include their headshot and proof of U.S. working credentials (i.e. passport, visa, or birth certificate).
- Applications must be submitted by December 28, 2018.
- Grant is contingent upon agreement with your current employer
- Please note, if you have a new employer (i.e. restaurant different than what was submitted in your application), you will need permission from your new restaurant in order to keep your grant, and will have to complete a Leave of Absence Consent form with your new restaurant.
- Grantees should return to their current workplace at the end of their experience.
How will applications be evaluated?
- Overall, we want to understand how this experience will benefit you and your career, your restaurant/ workplace, and the culinary profession.
- Applications will be reviewed and scored in the following specific areas:
- Resume/ experiences
- Letters of recommendation
- Written essays
- Project description and impact (is it unique, impactful, etc.)
- Overall need
- We will follow up with interviews to determine final selection of candidates
- Grants cannot be awarded to applicants who have already secured a stage/ internship.
When will I hear if my application has been approved?
- We will notify you in February 2019.
How will I receive the grant funding?
- For U.S.-based projects, you will be employed by your host restaurant for the duration of your grant, and will receive a salary directly from them (based on approximately 50 hours per week at your current pay rate).
- Once you have booked your travel and accommodations, ment’or will send you a check to cover these expenses (e.g. airfare, housing, weekday stipend).
- These expenses plus your gross salary (including the host restaurant’s payroll taxes) will be capped at $6,000 per month.
- For international projects, you will receive your gross salary in a lump-sum check. Again, total grant funding (salary + expenses) will be capped at $6,000 per month.
- Reimbursement for travel, accommodations, and stipend expenses will not be included on the Form 1099 sent to the IRS.
- Grantees must provide their expenses and receipts before receiving funds.
What are the requirements of a Grantee during the project/ internship?
- Grantees will be asked to document the experience with photos, journal entries, etc., which may be shared on our website and social media outlets.
- Grantees are required to submit a final presentation for the Board at the end of their experience. The deadline for this report will be one month from your Grant end date, and you will receive the final $500 of your grant award upon completion.
What are the guidelines for the Grant Program?
- Grant funding will be capped at $6K per month per recipient.
- Grantees will be awarded for a maximum two-month stage.
- Each grant must be used within 18 months of its issue.
- Grantees may use their grant for one location only.
How can I contact ment’or for further questions?
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.