Team USA Chef Jeffery Hayashi’s Brûlée Sweet Potato Recipe
5 Each Baby Sweet Potatoes
4 Cloves Garlic
2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
5 Sprigs Thyme
2 Quarts Canola Oil
1 Cup Kendal Farms Creme Fraiche
1 Cup Toasted Walnuts
Confit sweet potatoes directions:
- Set the oven to 300.
- In a pot add the sweet potatoes in a single layer.
- Add 4 cloves crushed garlic, 5 sprigs of thyme, 2 tablespoons of salt and cover with canola oil a half inch over the potatoes.
- Place the pot on medium heat to warm the oil for 3 minutes. This will expedite the cooking of the potatoes.
- Cover the pot with tin foil and place in the oven for 15-30 minutes. To check if the potatoes are cooked take a cake tester poke the potatoes. If cooked the cake tester should go in with little resistance. If ready remove from heat and let the potatoes cool down at room temperature.
- Remove the potatoes from the oil and let excess oil drain off.
- Split the potatoes length wise. Lightly coat the cut side of the potato with sugar and gently torch the sugar to caramelize it.
- To serve gently warm in an oven. Serve with Kendal Farms Creme Fraiche and toasted walnuts.